Good afternoon everyone and welcome back to TFB’s Silencer Saturday brought to you by Yankee Hill Machine, manufacturers of the YHM R9 multi-caliber suppressor. Last week we got a taste of Swiss rimfire with the B&T 22 Suppressor with the CMMG AR-15 .22LR conversion kit. This week we take the HUXWRX FLOW 556K full auto to see how it handles cyclic rates and blowback management. Let’s take a look at the video.
Note: Follow all local, state, and federal laws involving machine guns, suppressors, and other firearms regulated by the National Firearms Act (NFA). I don’t like it either, but it is the law of the land.
HUXWRX @ TFB:
SILENCER SATURDAY #244: HUXWRX FLOW 556K Full Auto Range Time
Let’s get right into the video then we can hit the highlights.
- In the first string of fire it appears that there is a lot of blowback, but that is just the cleaning solutions burning off inside the rifle. Subsequent strings did not display any noticeable blowback.
- This barrel is tuned specifically for suppressor use. Because the FLOW 556K produces no extra blowback, the bolt did not hold open on any of the last rounds in each of the magazines.
- The cyclic rate with the FLOW 556K attached is slower and more controlled than other suppressors I have used in the past.
- Sustained rates of fully automatic fire heat up the suppressor, barrel, and hand guard quickly. Take precautions to avoid burns.
HUXWRX FLOW 556K Specifications:
What I think could be improved on in future releases:
- The QD muzzle devices are fairly large with exposed threads that could get dinged up with regular use. The wrench flats are also large, (over an inch), thin, and near the threads. Most people will need/want to by a large wrench to avoid marring any surfaces with an adjustable wrench.
- No 1.375″ x 24 universal mount compatibility.
- Price is on the higher end of the scale for the 5.56mm category of suppressors.
What I like:
- This HUXWRX FLOW 556K is a system-neutral addition. It does not add any pressure to the AR-15 gas system that would increase cyclic rates or send gas blowback into the action or at the shooter’s face.
- The length and weight are very good for a hard use 5.56mm AR-15 suppressor.
- It’s built like a tank. With regular maintenance, this suppressor will outlive several barrels and host weapons.
- It sounds great, even on shorter barrels.
The HUXWRX FLOW 556K is a high performing suppressor that will be at home on any defensive AR-15 setup and won’t require the use of an adjustable gas system. The QD mount options will eventually grow, leaving only the price tag to consider. Street prices right now are hovering just over $1,000 which is a bit over market leaders. I think the extra investment is worth it if you are looking for a top performing 5.56 suppressor.
Thanks for reading. Be safe, have fun, and we’ll see you next weekend for another Silencer Saturday.